iligan 3d paper modeler Headlines

Saturday, September 11, 2010

What have I been up to? Part 2

I was hanging out in paper model forums lately and I found some members who design their own models. Building and designing are two different things in the paper modeling hobby. You can build from the designs and some design to build. Like me, I'm more of a builder and less of a designer.
But it would be great to have the best of both. Anyway, I tried to design using the programs they were referring but not for a paper model. I started on redesigning my logo using Google Sketchup. And this are the results:



Perhaps, making a paper model of my cube logo would not be a bad idea. But I have to try Pepakura first. A member once explained to me the design process as simple and straightforward:

1. Create Wireframe 

2. Unfold

3. Test Build

4. Refine

5. Apply Texture

6. Final Build

Currently, I'm trying my hands on Blender, Google Sketchup and Pepakura Designer. I've been downloading some .3ds files at the Google 3Dwarehouse to unfold in Pepakura. So far, I am limited to what my computer can handle. For me designing takes time compared to building the available designs. With so many models around to build I hardly imagine designing my own. But the satisfaction you get from designing a model gives you lots of praises knowing that a lot of people will be building from your designs specially if the models are popular and most requested. Different individuals have different learning curves, perhaps I'll be doing mine in my own pace. 

Thanks to eric_son from papermodelers.com for sharing the time to enlighten me on designing paper models.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails